Hey everyone! Welcome to Day 39 of the 365 Challenge!
Being positive against all odds can bring the best and worst out of us, even though the world is crumbling and re-aligning itself for us. Being positive should be a happy place for us to be in and recharge but… How do we stay positive against adversity?
Today, we will be discovering this together!
Recently, I’ve noticed the challenge of being around many people who I talk to on regular basis and work with, who are facing negativity and adversity. With the volatility of the economy, the negativity of the upcoming elections, and the fear of the unknown, it seems easy to get stuck in the “doom and gloom” of the world around us.
But, given all that has been going on recently, how can we stay positive?
Answer: There is no “quick fix” or “DIY Tasks” to combat this. We must learn it though, we should never avoid what is going on around us but we can do ten things that will help us stay positive in the mist of adversity and adversity in general.
Do you ever feel like there is no end to adversity when you’re in it?
Sometimes, it’s hard not to be swallowed up by adversity while in the moment.
How do you put a plug on the adversity?
- Do you think positive?
- Do you push negativity aside and look later back on it with a clear mind?
- Do you just let bygones-be-bygones?
- Do just let adversity be adversity?
- Do you avoid everything to do with that ‘certain thing’?
The real question, here today is: Being Positive against Adversity.
Day 39 – Being Positive
“Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are.” ~Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha
Our response to adversity is key to successfully overcoming the life-changing event. Many times, our lives would not change if not turned upside down. Finding the way out is part of the unique and individual nature of adversity. Our brains are forced to “rewire “without our consent.
The subsequent pressure and struggle is the response to the creation of new neural pathways. These pathways will lead us into the new lives we have longed for.
The thing about life changing events is that they tend to leave you feeling naked and (more than a little) fearful. If you try to squash that fear on your own you may be left feeling very alone and vulnerable.
In my experience, the best way to deal with the fear of adversity is to openly talk about it with others. Although by nature I tend to be a fairly private person, I will admit that there are times when keeping things to just yourself are simply detrimental to your health and your mental state.
In a case such as a huge loss or a major life upheaval, it is very important to ask and accept the help of those who love you. In this circumstance, I knew that if I had allowed myself to be buried away, I may never see the light of day again.
For this reason today we will be doing these ten things:
1. Connect with Family – call someone in your family or can write to them and/or meet up with them somewhere, sometime this week.
2. Stay Close with Friends – make arrangements to be with them or be apart of their lives somehow.
3. Write in a Journal – I realize that not everyone likes to journal, but if you can force yourself to start, you may find yourself getting addicted to it like I did.
4. Moving Into the Future – The point is to not isolate yourself. Find ways to express your thoughts and feelings. I have found that sharing your experiences is often helpful in deciding what to do next and moving forward with your life. It is also important to give yourself the space and time you need to absorb the adversity presented to you. It is going to take some time to work your way through the shock, fear, sadness and whatever other emotions you may be experiencing. At a certain point it will become clear that it is time to either move forward or get stuck in a negative cycle. Hopefully you will see the light around the corner and make the choice to move forward, even if you can’t figure out how to get there yet.
5. Develop a Filtering system – Learn to be a selective listener and filter out the negative chatter that tends to follow us where we go. If you are at the salon, bank or some other public place, tune out the negative. Keep a smile on your face always and when asked “How are you?” or some similar question, respond in a colorfully positive way. Respond with “Fabulous”, “Absolutely fantastic”, “Great!” [my personal favorite]. When asked why you are in such a good mood, respond with a simple reply about something you’re grateful for in your life.
6. Surround yourself with positive people – Push back or guard yourself from negative people who second-guess your dreams. Align yourself with people who are working on or have achieved similar goals. When you associate with people who are driven and are pushing themselves to succeed, it helps you to get your own momentum going. Positive people also make great cheerleaders!
7. Set aside some time for physical fitness – Establish a workout routine. This will help you feel better about yourself and it will pour over into your business, career and personal life. A balanced diet and multivitamin supplements helps too.
8. Feed your mind – Read motivational and inspirational material each day. You need to condition your mind day by day in order to stay positive. Make this a daily ritual, just like eating. Read stories or autobiographies of people who have overcome adversity. Know that the human spirit is strong and if they can survive and thrive in tough times, you can too.
9. Be grateful – Start a gratitude journal and write down 3 to 5 things you are grateful for each day. Take a look at it if you start to feel down, it is guaranteed to cheer you up. Even if you do not have much now, focus on what you do have and be grateful for it. Being grateful for the little things prepares you to be grateful for the bigger things when they come your way.
10. Volunteer – Give your time or help financially if you can. Look outside of yourself for ways you can help in your local community or give to a global cause.
But how you react to these adversities is what sets you apart from the masses.
Day 39 Reflection for 365 Challenge
- Is there anything you learned today?
- If so, what is it? Write it down.
Share Your Answers!
Share in the comments, then live true to this facing adversity head on for the whole of today. Report back at the end to share your progress!